President Donald Trump pulled back from a planned military strike against Iran, injecting fresh uncertainty into a region on high alert and offering a temporary reprieve for oil markets.
President Donald Trump pulled back from a planned military strike against Iran, injecting fresh uncertainty into a region on high alert and offering a temporary reprieve for oil markets.

President Donald Trump on Monday called off a planned military attack on Iran, heeding a request from the leaders of three Gulf nations just a day before the scheduled strike and signaling that high-stakes negotiations are back on the table.
Trump, in a social media post, said he informed U.S. military leaders "that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow" after requests from Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and UAE President Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan. He cited their opinion that "serious negotiations are now taking place" which could lead to an acceptable deal.
The last-minute reversal follows weeks of escalating rhetoric that has kept Brent crude prices above $100 a barrel as tankers remain unable to pass through the critical Strait of Hormuz. The waterway, which Iran has previously threatened to blockade, is a chokepoint for about 20 percent of global oil and gas shipments.
While the postponement averts an immediate conflict that could have sent oil prices soaring, the use of "postpone" rather than "cancel" underscores the fragility of the situation. The success of the ongoing talks, reportedly mediated by Pakistan, is now pivotal to determining whether the de-escalation holds or if the region is merely pausing before a wider conflict.
The backdrop to the reversed strike includes intelligence suggesting a shift in U.S. and Israeli military planning. According to Russian military analysts cited by Izvestia, any new conflict would likely focus on strategic waterways like the Strait of Hormuz rather than a ground invasion. "A ground operation, however, remains an extremely unlikely scenario," Alisa Kazelko, a Valdai expert, told the newspaper. "Washington clearly has no intention of repeating the costly Middle Eastern experience of the 2000s."
This assessment comes as Iran has reportedly restored significant military capabilities since the last round of hostilities. Grigory Lukyanov, a senior lecturer at the Oriental Studies Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, noted that Iran has reinforced its missile bases, bringing back into service an arsenal capable of striking U.S. and Israeli military infrastructure.
Negotiations between the U.S. and Iran have been stalled for weeks, with Tehran rebuffing American demands to curb its uranium enrichment program. Just hours before Trump’s announcement, Iran’s foreign ministry said it had handed another counterproposal to the United States via Pakistani intermediaries, according to The New York Times. The last time Trump made similar threats without follow-through was just two months prior, creating a pattern of brinkmanship that has rattled global markets.
This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice.